Tuesday, March 11, 2014

NeriumAD- 2/10





I started hearing a lot of buzz about this product, both negative and positive, and after much research, decided that I wanted to form my own opinion.  My biggest hesitation in trying this product was in regards to a somewhat controversial ingredient it contains called Oleander.  Oleander is a poisonous evergreen shrubbery that is known for its aromatics and flashiness.  When consumed it high doses, it has shown to be extremely toxic to humans and other mammals.  As concerning as the ingredient sounds, there isn't much research to support the Oleander causing any serious health effects when applied topically.  However, research does show that the Oleander sap has the potential to cause some skin irritation.

The company that produces NeriumAD is multi-level marketing company, somewhat similar to Avon or Mary Kay.  I'm always a little leery of these types of companies, but though I am not an advocate of the structures of these types of companies, it doesn't mean that it isn't possible for them to sell a good product.  I was approached by a NeriumAD sales representative who was kind enough to provide me with the bottle to review in hopes of gaining mine, as well as your, business.  Unfortunately, since I have only scored this product with a two out of ten, I will not be including the sales representative's name or purchase information as I normally would.

Nerium claims to be a cure-all anti-aging product, targeting hyperpigmentation and wrinkles.  I had all intents on taking before and after pictures, but I was never able to use the product consistently enough to take a final after picture as I suffered adverse effects.  The first thing I noticed upon pumping the NeriumAD onto my fingers was the strange, tacky texture and yellow pigment.  Then came the smell.  It was nearly intolerable but I did my best to look past it.  I woke up the net morning feeling extremely dry, and even a little flaky.  I decided to apply night cream over the Nerium the following night after confirming this was okay to do via the sales representative.  By day 3, my skin hurt to touch when I awoke a continued on through the day.  I then tapered off to only using it every other night, versus nightly as the directions indicate, due to the discomfort.  Despite lowering my dosage, my skin was becoming more and more sensitive and I was still experiencing the patchy dryness.  I discontinued the product for about two weeks and after about a week and a half, my skin started to feel like itself again.  I attempted to give it another try, but only succeeded in using the product off and on for about 45 days due to negative effects.

I have no idea how this product could have any real benefit to anyone considering the foul odor, dryness and discomfort,.  I am convinced that the Oleander, though it is deemed their prized ingredient, was damaging my skin's natural barrier.  The only products that should cause any sort of pain and burning in this capacity when applied are products and procedures from a professional (ie Dermatologist or Esthetician).  I was disappointed with this product as I really had high hopes for it, but it turned out to be exactly what I was originally concerned about: a scam of a company marketing an overpriced product that not only does not benefit the skin, seemingly harms the it.

No comments:

Post a Comment